You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Nordlandtrilogie HD - Offizielles Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, October 23rd 2013, 9:49pm

A few thoughts

Hello. Here are a few ideas I had while playing the game (I've played roughly 15 hours so far).

1 - Food spoilage. Rations would only last a week or two before having to be discarded. Good idea?

2 - Occasional big tips when you play instruments or dance. Maybe if the tavern is packed, and you do an especially good performance, a rich patron will tip you a ducat or two.

3 - When selling goods at a merchant, please have the ability to switch between character's inventories. Sometimes it's difficult to tell whose items I'm selling in the middle of the mess of items. So, just give us the option to look at individual party member's inventories and choose items one character at a time.

I have more and I'll post them as they come to me (I'm going blank right now). Thanks!

Wednesday, October 23rd 2013, 10:01pm

@1: Makes problems with stackability, and should be history with the currently discussed feature request about adapting Ration usage and gain

@2: That should already be the case, I'll recheck

@3: If you click an item, the character who owns it is highlighted at the bottom, and the tooltip should also state who the owner of a specific item is. Please check :).
Firefox ist immer schuld :)

Wednesday, October 23rd 2013, 10:09pm

@3: No, the owner is not stated in the tooltip. Just checked it.
As I see it you can't sell items which are currently equipped to a character. Is that correct, Chris?
lunatic has attached the following image:
  • nlthd_screenshot_047.png

Thursday, October 24th 2013, 7:03pm

4 - Skinning. Wolves should be able to be skinned as well as hunted game, and those skins can be sold to a merchant.

Friday, October 25th 2013, 8:30pm

5 - When characters are sick 3 times with the same disease (such as frost damage, frost damage, frost damage), the pop-ups for the sickness should only appear once. Example - "John is shaking all over. The freezing effects are troubling", should only appear once. As it is right now, it pops up a bunch of times consecutively. If you have a few members who are sick, you have to click about 20 times just to get the messages to go away, that's how many pop-ups happen. So, this should probably be taken down to one pop-up.

Friday, October 25th 2013, 8:32pm

@5: This is rather a bug than a featurerequest, the popups should only happen once per character.

Friday, October 25th 2013, 8:33pm

Oh, ok. Well, in that saved game I sent you, you will see that the pop-ups happen over and over again.

Friday, October 25th 2013, 8:41pm

Looking at your savegame, I can see why they pop up so often, and especially why you can't progress on your journey: Somehow you managed to get frostbite 8 times on a single character. I have no idea how you survive every day, your char should be long dead. Because of the amassed effects, your Endurance is negative, and consequently you can't travel. I'll need to think about how to prevent this from happening.

Friday, October 25th 2013, 8:45pm

Looking at your savegame, I can see why they pop up so often, and especially why you can't progress on your journey: Somehow you managed to get frostbite 8 times on a single character. I have no idea how you survive every day, your char should be long dead. Because of the amassed effects, your Endurance is negative, and consequently you can't travel. I'll need to think about how to prevent this from happening.
Sometimes healers were saying something like that "Praise Tsa, X is well again!" but the negative effect icon was still there. So the illnesses apply themselves several times to simulate the -worsening- effect? And a healer cures one instance in that case?

Friday, October 25th 2013, 8:45pm

Wow, now I see it. One character has it 6 times as well. Not sure how that happened. They were all healthy when I went from Thoss to the ruins.

How many times can one get sick? 8 times is crazy, that's very expensive to try and cure. And that character was dying nearly every time I camped.

That character has a sleeping bag and was wearing a winter coat, too. How do I stop them from getting so sick?

Friday, October 25th 2013, 8:49pm

Sleeping bag and winter coat helps but....ultimately it is a dice roll and you can still get frozen. Like in real life...stuff happens. You could try relaxing by fire during winters in a town or schedule ship journeys during winter, trekking during other seasons.

@Craftyfirefox: By the way, it never happened to me ingame yet. Healers are able to mistreat and damage (sometimes really good damage and kill the weakened character) like in the original? It was a good lesson to listen to rumors about good healers :P

Friday, October 25th 2013, 9:12pm

@ugralitan: No, not yet, but will try to get that in too :).
@fluent: That depends. You can aquire all kinds of sicknesses, from wound fever to frozen limbs to a cold, and you can - in the worst case scenario - aquire them simultaneously. Best would be to always have an "Elixir against disease" handy, it removes all current known and unknown sickness effects at once. And don't forget to place guards, they keep the fire going and therefore make it easier to withstand cold damage.

Friday, October 25th 2013, 9:26pm

I haven't been placing guards. Didn't know they kept the fire going. Makes sense, though. Thanks!

Friday, October 25th 2013, 11:12pm

Maybe illnesses should only have 3 levels of strength - light, moderate, and severe. Would be a bit easier to keep tabs on, I think. Having illnesses able to spread to 6 and 8 times is a bit overkill I think. How will I ever have enough money to properly heal those guys? And my treat disease skill doesn't seem to work at all, even though it's a level 5 on my witch (and I rarely have Whirlweed anyway). So, it makes an already tough game even tougher. I don't mind playing a difficult game, but losing 2 more leveled up party members is going to be rough. So, my suggestion would be to limit it to 3 degrees as I said. What do you guys think?

Or maybe, I just need to assign watch at camp fires and not be such a newb :P

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "fluent" (Oct 26th 2013, 1:02am)

Saturday, October 26th 2013, 3:27am

You can always resort to euthanasia of the character, ending his/her suffering. :P

By the way about talent levels:

-5 to 0: You really do not know about that talent but you can give it a shot.
0 to 5: You know the basics and at the beginning of the profession.
5 to 10: You are trained in the talent and you can pull it off easier then a rookie.
15: You are a professional in the business.
17-18+: You are the master of the job.

The same mentality applies to the spells as well.

Saturday, October 26th 2013, 5:25pm

In the future I'll just have to be more careful not to get diseases I guess. It is awfully difficult to manage them at times. There never seems to be enough herbs to treat them and when I do treat them, it doesn't work. Gotta get my skills up more I suppose. Thanks for the tips, ugralitan!

By the way, what do you think about adding skinning to the game? Good idea? It would make encounters with wolves and steppe dogs more interesting, if after the battles you can skin them and sell the skins back in town for a little profit.

Sunday, October 27th 2013, 12:16am

6 - Give us a way to view the world map when we are in town. Sometimes I just want to look at it and plot my course without going to a signpost.

7 - How about an option to pause travel on the world map without camping? Interrupt journey doesn't work because when you click that, a pop-up comes up asking you to turn around or continue going. I mean a regular pause button that would pause the game and allow you to go into your inventory and have a look around, drink potions, etc. I know a few times I was wishing I could drink a potion on the world map. Usually it's because someone with a disease slept in camp and his condition got worse, yet we have to start traveling again and there's no way to heal him without camping (by that time he might be dead if the disease strikes again). Just something to think about.

8 - Right-clicking should cancel an ability. Example, you go to the tavern and click cheating ability instead of play instruments ability. There is no way to cancel this and choose the correct ability, so you're forced to cheat and possibly get beat up and thrown out, when all you wanted to do was play an instrument. To solve this, just make right click a cancel button. Same with camping, there's no way to cancel abilities once you've clicked them.

9 - Please, if we have zoomed in and centered the world map on our location, every time we break camp please keep it the way we made it. Right now it reverts back to fully zoomed out and centered, and I have to quickly zoom back in and move the map back to where I put it.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "fluent" (Oct 27th 2013, 2:24am)

Monday, October 28th 2013, 8:43pm

@6: I'll look into that
@7: You should get a third option "make Camp" when pressing the Pause button on the map. In the camp you can drink as many potions as you want. The two option dialog should only appear right after breaking camp.
@8: I'll also look into that
@9: Thats inconvenient, you are right. One more "look into that" :)

And regarding your sicknesses:

Spoiler Spoiler

I already told you to get your hands on elixir against diseases, you can find them with a 50% probability at herb markets. They are expensive, but they are a *lot* cheaper than any healer or other attempts might be. Also, try healing sick characters with witch's spit. It has a 25% chance to remove all sicknesses (and another 25% to remove all Poisons) along with the healing, no matter how much you heal.
But be aware of one thing: Sickness is part of the game, it is supposed to be "harder than a walk in the park", and if you wander mountain passes in Winter, you are supposed to yield the consequences. Just avoid it and try to go around by ship in winter, place guards when camping, have the right equipment handy - we are really trying to simulate an experience where your life is constantly threatened not only by the beasts, but also by the harsh northern environment. It is called the "Northland trilogy" in German, and the Thorwal region is comparable to the climate Sweden, Canada and Siberia, and you are traveling there in a middle-aged culture. If you don't bring pants and boots, don't wonder you are getting sick all the time ;).

Monday, October 28th 2013, 9:30pm

No, you're absolutely right, and I agree 100%. 200%, even. I'm glad you have taken the approach to survival that you have, it's a very nice feature in the game.

And thanks for taking my ideas into consideration! I think they will add small touches to the game that will make it all the better. All the best to you and your team!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "fluent" (Oct 28th 2013, 9:44pm)