You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Nordlandtrilogie HD - Offizielles Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, August 8th 2013, 10:29am

Wanted: Native English reader (US or UK)

Hi all,

we had some complaints about the English language in RoA. I am not talking about the Narrator now, I am talking about the text itself. We had a professional loca studio writing the translation from German to English, however, as we are native Austrian (or Czech), it´s hard to tell if the style is good, we only see obvious translation errors if we encounter them.

So it would be very appreciated if an English reader with vast reading experience or a profession linked to writing(teacher, author, copywriter...) here could volunteer to read over the translation as an excel sheet containing the english localization, marking elements as either "sounds good" or "sounds awkward".

Please send me a PN if you want to contribute here.

Thursday, August 8th 2013, 10:58am

If I might make a suggestion?

Get another Loc agency to have a look at it instead of a layman.

Depending on the word count, you might be able to get a decent deal since it is not really proof-reading you are looking for at the moment but for a more general comment on the quality.

You should also decide if you want UK or US English used in-game. The differences are not that big, but there are some (spelling of Armo(u)r comes to mind). :)

I am working for a Loc company specializing in Video Games, so drop me a PM if you want. ^^
Sanctus Borbarad, adiuva me!

Thursday, August 8th 2013, 7:25pm

Hello,
I'm not a native English speaker, but I edit for others as a hobby (writing style mostly), contact me I'll do it for fun :)

Thursday, August 8th 2013, 11:33pm

I'm an American and a native English speaker. :) I'm an author - I'm on the third draft of my second novel (not yet published, but I'm shooting for publication by Q1 next year) and I majored in History. I may not work for an editing agency, but you won't find sharper English skills anywhere. :) I'd be happy to proofread as time allows...

Friday, August 9th 2013, 2:47am

If you'll have me, I would be happy to help you guys with the English translation. I've been playing the remake since it was released and have witnessed, unfortunately, a rather large amount of typos, missing words, and awkward translations within the game text. I'd be willing to identify these errors, mark the translations with positive/negative feedback, and also offer suggestions for improvements. I can spend several hours a day helping with this process. About myself: I live in Chicago, English is my first language, and have played RPGs for over 25 years. I majored in both English and Computer Science, was a copy editor for my college newspaper, and love to read and write in my spare time. I really want this game to succeed, and even though it has been a rather rocky start, I’d truly like to help. (I sent you a PM earlier, Ivan, but I also wanted to express my interest here.)

Friday, August 9th 2013, 10:24am

I heard the english speaker from a Video, and honestly I believe it is better than the german one ^^'

The german one sounds like my grandpa and has about the same "motivation" like my grandpa to be part of an RPG

hahaha

Tuesday, August 13th 2013, 12:41am

I heard the english speaker from a Video, and honestly I believe it is better than the german one ^^'

The german one sounds like my grandpa and has about the same "motivation" like my grandpa to be part of an RPG

hahaha

you are so right... i come from the german site and a lot of the german users don´t like it much but most users don´t want language sound at all and there is or will come a patch to chose it with the option menu (sorry for my bad english)

Tuesday, August 13th 2013, 9:02pm

The English narrator isn't bad in my opinion. He at least makes an effort to try different accents and pitches. The one he does for Hjore Ahrensson is very amusing, to say the least.

Wednesday, August 14th 2013, 12:39am

narrator annoy me alot very much. i wish shut him off sound no blah blah

Wednesday, August 14th 2013, 12:42am

They're working on that in the patch, haha.

Wednesday, August 14th 2013, 12:46am

me happy thx u for telling me

Wednesday, August 14th 2013, 12:50am

Any time :thumbup:

Wednesday, August 14th 2013, 4:23pm

Would be more than glad to help. I already posted some typos that I found in the bugs forum.
Join us on the REALMS OF ARKANIA Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RealmsOfArkania

Wednesday, August 14th 2013, 10:29pm

nah, I just started to like the EN narrator... I even feel that some texts were newly-made in some patches. But anyway, I read one comment "the narrator voice gives you a feeling like you would be playing pen&paper game hearing a dungeon master.. who tries to simulate the voices of various game characters"... after I saw it from this perspective, the narrator "special" voice/style changed from malus into bonus in an instance.

Hmm... Austrian & Czech... so we may expect Czech localization anytime soon? :D